The Oregon Opportunity Grant, also known as the State Need Grant, is the largest state-funded need-based scholarship fund administered by the State of Oregon to help financially needy students who are planning to go to college. It was first set up in 1971 by the Oregon Legislature to assist high school students who want to pursue their dreams but could not do so due to insufficient funding.
This grant is on a first-come, first-served basis, thus students are encouraged to apply early in order to get priority review. Recipients of the grant may renew their award for 8 semesters at full-time enrollment.
Oregon Opportunity Grants Eligibility
To qualify for the Oregon Opportunity Grants, applicants should:
- Be residents of the State of Oregon
- Be citizens of the United States
- Be undergraduates with no pre-existing college degrees
- Be enrolled in a half-time or full-time course program at any participating community college, college or university in the State of Oregon
- Have good academic standing
- Have no defaults on federal student loans
- Have good moral standing
- Meet Selective Service registration requirements
- Not be enrolled in bible studies, theology and other religious education courses
Applicants who are members of recognized Native American tribes in the State of Oregon, or tribes which have customary tribal boundaries in the state hold tribal residency, and are considered to be Oregon citizens as well.
How to Apply
Interested parties may apply for the Oregon Opportunity grant by filling-up a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year in order to qualify. There are also institution-specific requirements which have to be met, thus it is advised that they visit the financial aid office of their college or university to be properly informed about the other items they should submit along with their application.
Scholarship Application Deadlines
The deadline for submission of application entries is on January 1st of each year. As with all federal scholarships and grants, applicants looking to apply must begin the process by submitting a free application for federal student aid or what is popularly known as FAFSA. You can do this online or mail the paper form. Online is generally preferred. Keep in mind that submitting a FAFSA is free and to only do it on the official website – www.fafsa.gov .