Legislative Memorial Scholarship Overview
The Maine Legislature in an effort to recognize and reward the potential of one student from each Maine county in terms of academic achievement created the Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship Fund. The scholarship is available for by high school seniors who plan to pursue college education in any post secondary institution within the State of Maine as well as by currently enrolled college students. Graduate students are also welcome to apply for the scholarship. Both part time as well as full time students are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
The amount of scholarship provided each year is $16,000. This amount is to be distributed to 16 recipients at $1,000 per student. The money given by the scholarship can be used to offset the costs of tuition and other related college education expenses.
This scholarship is based on financial need as well as academic achievement. Permanent residence in the State of Maine is also mandatory as part of the selection process. We have more on the eligibility below
All interested student applicants for the Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship must satisfy the following conditions
- Applicants must be residents of Maine
- Applicants must already be in a two or four year course or be accepted into one. Further, the college or school must be accredited by the New England Association and must be in Maine.
Among the consideration of the Maine Legislative Memorial Scholarship include:
- Outstanding academic achievement-applicants should provide a GPA of at least 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
- Activeness and involvement in community development programs
- Financial need based on the applicant’s Student Aid Report
How to Apply
Applicants can download forms from the Maine Educational Services foundation website. The application forms must be completely filled up and sent together with the student aid report, complete transcript of records and a 300 word essay explaining their educational goals.
Recommendation letters from the following are also required:
- Some one who is tuned into the applicants academic progress as well as their extra curricular activities. Ideally some one at their high school or college will be best suited.
- Some one with direct knowledge about the applicant’s contribution and involvement in service dedicated to the local community.
Deadline to Apply
All application forms and its supplemental documentation must be handed over on or before April 15 of each year. Recipients of the scholarship will receive the money after having completed the first semester of the incoming academic year.
Applicants can request more information as well as mail their completed application to the following address. Remember to send out all applications before April 15th.
The address for the Main Legislative Memorial Scholarship Fund is listed below
131 Presumpscot Street
Portland, ME 04103
And finally, the number to call in case you have queries or would like more information is 1-800-922-6352