Gregory W. Giles Memorial Scholarship Overview
The Gregory W. Giles Memorial Scholarship is an educational grant provided to students who are aiming for college education and at the same time suffering from epilepsy. It is established by the Epilepsy Foundation of Idaho in memory of Gregory W. Giles, a young man who suffered and died of epilepsy at the age of 19.
This scholarship grant offers up to $1,000 to one recipient each academic year, and the grant money can be used to pay for tuition, miscellaneous, books, and other related college education needs.
To qualify for the Gregory W. Giles Memorial Scholarship, you should satisfy the following conditions.
- Applicants should be citizens of the United States
- Applicants must be residents of the State or Idaho
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate medical diagnosis of epilepsy for the minimum of one year.
- Applicants must be graduating from high school and have definite plans to pursue college education or should be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution within the state.
Applicants who are already pursuing academic or vocational coursework should be enrolled full-time or a minimum of 12 units in a 2-year or 4-year degree.
How to Apply
When applying for the Gregory W. Giles Memorial Scholarship, applicants should submit:
- A completely filled up application form (You can download this from www.EpilepsyIdaho.org)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Physician statement
- You are also required to submit a typewritten letter of application that must answer in detail the following list of questions
- Describe yourself and your interests. A brief description of yourself will go a long way in helping to understand you.
- Detail the types of seizures, the frequency and also the medications you are currently on or prescribed.
- Explain briefly how you feel about epilepsy, what are the challenges you’ve faced and how you’ve dealt with these challenges.
- Career Goals – Explain your career goals and the reasons you chose those particular goals
- College Education Funding – How were you planning on financing your education? What prior planning and effort have you put in to finance your education?
Scholarship Application Deadline
The deadline of application for the Gregory W. Giles Memorial Scholarship is on March 14th of each year. Applicants should have mailed all necessary requirements before the said date; late submissions will not be reviewed.
For more information, contact:
Epilepsy Foundation of Idaho
310 West Idaho Street
Boise, Idaho 83702